Sunday, June 13, 2010

Summering down south

I'm in Florida for the summer doing an internship. Not the usual approach for a PhD student, but I DO need to find a job someday and they say experience helps. I like my internship way better than I like my dissertation, but I imagine I'd feel ambivalent about it if it were my dissertation. What sweet irony or whatever.

So far in Florida...
I learned that I have a fairly severe allergy to bedbugs.
My dog was bitten by a puggle and has 3 staples in her ear.
My dog has fleas.
My dog has been wearing a cone for a week. She is pissed.
There are bats here and I like that.
There are alligators here and that seems dangerous.
It is unreasonably hot. That sucks.
The Cuban restaurant was not as good as I'd hoped.
I'm really itchy.

Dissertation progress:
  1. Made a table with 400 boxes - check one box for each hour of work on my dissertation.
  2. 28 boxes are checked so far. 372 to go.
  3. I had a new idea today about how to do something. It felt weird and pleasant.
  4. I have not acted on idea mentioned above.
  5. Considering having the "I am not going to stay in academics" conversation with my advisor in a couple weeks. Worried that he will be disappointed.
  6. Set a defense date. November 2. Backup date Feb 2. Backup-backup date April 2.
Back at home, my goldfish has died. Rest in peace, Ricky Ricardo Jr.
Thanks to my good friend HatHair for burying him with dignity and a water gun salute.

No comments:

Post a Comment