Thursday, April 22, 2010

Things aren't going well.

I'm supposed to finish my dissertation this year.

Total years in undergrad + grad school: 11.3
Years on this project: 4.8
Income on 2009 taxes: $16,000
Age: 36
Weight gain in last 6 months: +20lbs
Learning/cognitive disabilities: 2 or 3
Drug of choice: adderall

Motivation: low
Interest in project: all-time low
Interest in other things: all-time high
Job prospects in my field: pitiful
Relationship status: single, bored, and lonely
Dating prospects: queer in a midwest college town... not so good
Relationship with dog: possibly codependent
Goldfish's health: nearly tail-less due to chronic fungal infection
Dishes in sink: many, nearly ripe

The first 3 years of my PhD program were fun. Full of people, travel, new ideas and learning. Now I sit alone in an office all day and try to write. It's lonely. It's not fun anymore. I'm not making progress. It feels like purgatory and I don't know how I'm going to get to the other side. I'm an extrovert. This sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment